Tuesday, July 24, 2018

When I first ran..

For someone who has been plump all her life, running 5 kms. is a big achievement!
Yes, I have always been a plump person who was body shamed from childhood (or rather who is still body shamed), and I couldn't run even for 1 minute continuously without puffing and panting. I have always admired runners and wanted to incorporate running in my weight-loss journey, but I could never do that as I was scared to run and being mocked at. But, relocating to a new country and gyms being super expensive here, I started with home workouts. But soon, I found out that I did not have enough motivation to workout at home daily, and hence, I started to go for walks. For a person who loved walking it was quite refreshing, and I used to be mostly regular with my walks. But, I noticed that I wasn't losing any weight with my walking regime.
Meanwhile, the doctor asked me to reduce a few kgs as well, as we were trying to conceive. So, I did not have any choice, but to get out of the house and start to jog/run. I made up my mind and took the courage to start running. I had heard a lot about the C25K app. It is an 8-week running plan for beginners to run 5km. I had used it before, but I had never crossed the week 3 of the running plan. However,  this time I was determined. So, I downloaded it, put on my running shoes, and got out of the house at 6 am in the morning. I found it very difficult in the beginning to run for even 1.5minutes to start with. But eventually, I noticed that I could run continuously for 3mins, then 5mins, and then 8mins by the end of week 5. This motivated me to not give up, irrespective of whether I was losing weight or not, or if I was mocked at or not.
I followed the plan religiously (though I did take a few unavoidable breaks in between, I was mostly regular). By the end of 8 weeks, TADA! I RAN FOR 5KM and completed it in 32mins, which later on I realised is NOT BAD AT ALL FOR A BEGINNER LIKE ME! It was a moment of pride for me. I know many of you will be thinking that what's so big a deal about it? But, considering the body shaming I have gone through and considering that there was no one to motivate me or push me, IT WAS AN ACHIEVEMENT FOR ME! Even now, I incorporate 5 km runs in my weight loss journey. I continue running for 5 kms a few times a week, and that happy feeling of running continuously for 5 kms cannot be explained.
Running is liberating. It releases positive endorphins. It is the best thing to do if you are suffering from anxiety or depression. I personally felt that my mood is always better on the days when I have worked out.
I would like to give a few simple tips to persons like me who want to run, but are scared to start running for various reasons.
  • C25K is a good app for beginners to start running. Download it on your phone and start following the plan religiously.
  • Never underestimate yourself and your will power. There will be a lot of people (including your dear ones) to mock you or to put you down. Just focus on yourself and don't give a damn about them.
  • Don't ever think how will it look like when you run. Trust me it doesn't matter, no matter where you are.
Most importantly, there will always be people to criticize you - pointing out that you are not losing weight, irrespective of your efforts or the 5 kms run. Just turn a deaf ear to them and continue doing what makes you feel good. That feeling you get after your continuous 5 kms run is inexplicable, which is what matters!
So ladies, what are you waiting for? GO FOR IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment